I have a love, hate relationship with make-up. I love having it, playing around with different looks and feeling proud when I think something looks amazing.
But then I get them days were my blusher just make me look embarrassed and my eyeliner just wont go the way you want it too, and don’t get me started on bronzer making me look like a cheese puff. Those are the days where I’m on the verge of picking up my make up and throwing it out the window.
I get bad make-up days whenever I need to be somewhere or people see me. If I’m on my own my make-ups great (sigh). So here are some tips I’ve taken on board and thought I’d share with you.
1. After putting on your foundation, powder, bronzer, blusher and whatever else we put on our skin, take a make-up sponge and lightly dab it over your skin. It stops you from looking ‘cakey’ and more ‘Put together’.
2. If you feel confident enough or just feel like giving it ago don’t wear foundation! Only wear eye make-up and concealer, trust me your skin will thank you, look nicer in time, and feel 100% softer.
3. Have a good skin care routine! taking care of you skin will make you look better anyways. Make-up can’t do it all so looking after the skin under the make-up will not only give you more confidence but make your make-up look look 10x better.
4. If you want to make your powder eye shadow and liner last all day, apply a cream shadow base. Put the lightweight base on your eyelid first and then apply your regular eye makeup. It will last for hours without having to take the time and reapply.
5. Use Vaseline under your eyes before you go to bed, by the time you wake up dark circles will be gone and the Vaseline will have been absorbed while you slept.
6. Always use an SPF! Don’t worry if its not sunny wear it. Your skin will thank you so much in a few years, it will hold off fine lines and wrinkles for a bit longer, and prevent sun damage.
7. No matter how late it is or how tired (drunk) you are wash your face, take off your make-up. If you don’t you’ll clog your pores and then you’ll get spots.
8. Always allow about two fingers from your nose to where blush starts.
9. When choosing a red lipstick, you just want to remember to get one that looks good with your undertone. If you have a warm undertone, then go for warmer reds, and if you have a cool undertone, then go cooler.
10. Remember, clean brushes to fight against potential bacteria and breakouts!
11. If you don’t have nail polish remover, apply clear nail polish over and then wipe off. It will remove old polish.
12. Replace your mascara and liquid liners every three months.
13. When you’re buying new makeup at the store, make sure it is really new. I have walked down the aisles of the store catching young teenage girls sampling lipstick and foundation to make sure it is the right shade. Turns out that scientists have found some pretty nasty Bactria on department store makeup testers including staph, strep, and E. coli. Stick to makeup with plastic seals or those packed away behind the counter in an unopened box.
14. If you’ve had it with smudgy lids, store your eyeliner in the freezer for 15 minutes before use. It will stop the tip from crumbling and will allow a smooth application across your skin.
15. No matter how many beauty tips and tricks you read in your lifetime, the most important is this: it’s important to drink as much water as possible each and every day. It keeps your skin looking healthy, will make you feel healthy and hydrated, and your skin and hair feeling supple! It truly is a girl’s best friend.